Local Houses, Places, and Deeds http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/ Local Houses, Places, and Deeds Hammers Farm This farm last belonged to the Hammers family, and was located on the ridge area of what is now the James Creek boat launch. The farm was purchased by the US Army Corps of Engineers for the construction of Raystown Lake. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=123013996 123013996 Hammers Summer House http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=123013997 123013997 John F. N. Householder Home John F. N. Householder (1837-1910) built this home in 1859. The house stands along Rt. 26 (Raystown Rd.) in McConnellstown. This photo was submitted by Debbie Lesslie. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=123039983 123039983 John F. N. Householder Home side view This photo was submitted by Debbie Lesslie. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=123039984 123039984 Catharine Kissinger Home in Marklesburg Catharine's sister, Lucinda, is on the front porch. This photo was submitted by Lynn Ayers. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=94952202 94952202 McConnellstown 1920 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=126699509 126699509 Fink's Bridge This photo was provided by Elizabeth A. (Garner) Carpenter. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=135616023 135616023 Property Deed from Martha J. Norris to Philip C. Fisher - Page 1 dated April 24, 1945 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=159322677 159322677 Property Deed from Martha J. Norris to Philip C. Fisher - Page 2 dated April 24, 1945 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=159322678 159322678 Property Deed from Martha J. Norris to Philip C. Fisher - Page 3 dated April 24, 1945 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=159322679 159322679 Property Deed from Martha J. Norris to Philip C. Fisher - Page 4 dated April 24, 1945 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=159322680 159322680 Property Deed from Martha J. Norris to Philip C. Fisher - Page 5 dated April 24, 1945 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=159322681 159322681 Property Deed from Philip A. Norris to Jackson Fisher - Page 1 dated March 30, 1911 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=159322682 159322682 Property Deed from Philip A. Norris to Jackson Fisher - Page 2 dated March 30, 1911 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=159322683 159322683 Property Deed from Philip A. Norris to Jackson Fisher - Page 3 dated March 30, 1911 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=159322684 159322684 Property Deed from Philip A. Norris to Jackson Fisher - Page 4 dated March 30, 1911 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=159322685 159322685 Property Deed from Philip A. Norris to Jackson Fisher - Page 5 dated March 30, 1911 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=159322686 159322686 Property Deed from Philip A. Norris to Jackson Fisher - Page 6 dated March 30, 1911 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=159322687 159322687 Property Deed from Richard Coplin to Nathan Snare - Page 1 dated June 1, 1868 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160416227 160416227 Property Deed from Richard Coplin to Nathan Snare - Page 2 dated June 1, 1868 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160416223 160416223 Property Deed from Richard Coplin to Nathan Snare - Page 3 dated June 1, 1868 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160416224 160416224 Property Deed from Richard Coplin to Nathan Snare - Page 4 dated June 1, 1868 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160416225 160416225 Property Deed from Richard Coplin to Nathan Snare - Page 5 dated June 1, 1868 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160416226 160416226 Property Deed from James H. Grove to Allen B. Grove dated March 20, 1947 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160416228 160416228 Property Deed from George W. Isett to John A. Isett - Page 1 dated January 18, 1891 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160416229 160416229 Property Deed from George W. Isett to John A. Isett - Page 2 dated January 18, 1891 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160416230 160416230 Property Deed from Jeremiah Keith to Edward Hallyer http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160416231 160416231 Property Deed of Isaac Klimer to Jackson Beaver http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160416232 160416232 Property Deed of the Estate of Jackson Beaver to Mary Jane Snare - Page 1 Dated February 8, 1886 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160417671 160417671 Property Deed of the Estate of Jackson Beaver to Mary Jane Snare - Page 2 Dated February 8, 1886 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160417672 160417672 Property Deed of the Estate of Jackson Beaver to Mary Jane Snare - Page 3 Dated February 8, 1886 http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160417670 160417670 Entriken Mansion Front View The Entriken Mansion was lost for the construction of Raystown Lake. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160504314 160504314 Entriken Mansion Barn The Entriken Mansion was lost for the construction of Raystown Lake. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160504315 160504315 Entriken Mansion Side View The Entriken Mansion was lost for the construction of Raystown Lake. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160504316 160504316 Forge House at Paradise Furnace This was the forge house at Paradise Furnace. The house was lost for the construction of Raystown Lake. The house was located in the area that is now part of Trough Creek State Park. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160504317 160504317 Grafton Railroad Station Grafton is now known as Hesston. The store and house located behind the railroad station are now part of a private residence. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160504319 160504319 Poster for Picnic at Brumbaugh's Orchard This poster is dated September 3, 1921. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=183538334 183538334 Lutheran Church in Marklesburg 1909 St. Matthew's Lutheran Church is still in operation today. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160504320 160504320 Lutheran Church in Marklesburg http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=175817957 175817957 St. Matthew's Lutheran Church, Marklesburg This is a view of the church from Marklesburg. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160504321 160504321 Marklesburg This is a view of Marklesburg from the back alley looking down the Aitch road toward the Lutheran Church. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=175817962 175817962 The Dirt Street in Marklesburg http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=175817959 175817959 Brethren Church in Marklesburg This photo was shared by Sam Hinish. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=175817958 175817958 Marklesburg This school and/or church was located in Marklesburg. The exact location is unknown. If you know more about it, please comment! This photo was shared by Sam Hinish. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=175817961 175817961 Old Stone Church before 1916 This Lutheran Church was the home of the congregation before it was moved to Marklesburg. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160504322 160504322 Old Stone Church and Cemetery http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160504323 160504323 Old Stone Church http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=181861103 181861103 Reformed Church in Marklesburg The Zion United Church of Christ is still in operation. The church is located in Lincoln Township right outside of Marklesburg. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160504324 160504324 Reformed Church in Marklesburg The Zion United Church of Christ is still in operation. The church is located in Lincoln Township right outside of Marklesburg. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160504325 160504325 Schell's Bridge The person in the photo is Lloyd Moore. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=161843959 161843959 Schell's Bridge and Juniata & Southern Railroad before 1915 Schell's Bridge was located on the road from Aitch to Paradise Furnace. The wooden bridge seen here was taken by the flood of 1936 and was replaced with an iron bridge. The wooden bridge was also known as the Trexler Bridge, after the company that built it. The Juniata & Southern Railroad bridge can be seen in the background. The railroad was built by the Greco Bros. in 1910. The railroad bridge went from Aitch to the coal fields at Jacobs. Greco Bros. started building the railroad below Aitch and connected with the Huntingdon & Broadtop Mountain Railroad. They intended to build a connecting railroad south to Hagerstown, MD, but were stalled by the East Broadtop Railroad, which refused to let them cross their right of way at Jacobs. During the litigation proceedings, Mr. Greco died and his brothers and heirs decided to quit and sell the road and all the equipment. Benjamin F. Grove was the engineer, and their sidings to make up trains were located in his field to the left of Trough Creek bridge. During it's 8 years of existence it hauled lumber, coal from Jacobs, and goods to and from Trough Creek Valley. The grade is now the road through Trough Creek State Park. The railroad bridge and steel from the railroad was sold to Russia at the beginning of World War I about 1918 according to Irv Schell. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160504326 160504326 Schell's Bridge after 1937 This iron bridge replaced the wooden bridge after the flood of 1936. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=160504327 160504327 Huntingdon Furnace Iron Master's House This photo was submitted by Steve Weaver. Huntingdon Furnace is a national historic district and historic iron furnace and associated buildings located at Franklin Township in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania. It consists of seven contributing buildings and one contributing structure. They are the iron furnace, office building, the ironmaster's mansion, log worker's house, a residence, the farm manager's residence, the grist mill and the miller's house. The iron furnace was moved to this site in 1805, from its original site one mile upstream. It measures 30 feet square by 30 feet high. The ironmaster's mansion was built in 1851, and is a 2 1/2-story, "L"-shaped frame dwelling. The grist mill dates to 1808, and is a 3 1/2-story, rubble stone building measuring 50 feet by 45 feet. The furnace was in operation from 1796, until it ceased operations in the 1880s. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=172829665 172829665 Huntingdon Furnace Mill House This photo was submitted by Steve Weaver. Huntingdon Furnace is a national historic district and historic iron furnace and associated buildings located at Franklin Township in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania. It consists of seven contributing buildings and one contributing structure. They are the iron furnace, office building, the ironmaster's mansion, log worker's house, a residence, the farm manager's residence, the grist mill and the miller's house. The iron furnace was moved to this site in 1805, from its original site one mile upstream. It measures 30 feet square by 30 feet high. The ironmaster's mansion was built in 1851, and is a 2 1/2-story, "L"-shaped frame dwelling. The grist mill dates to 1808, and is a 3 1/2-story, rubble stone building measuring 50 feet by 45 feet. The furnace was in operation from 1796, until it ceased operations in the 1880s. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=172829666 172829666 Huntingdon Furnace This photo was submitted by Steve Weaver. Huntingdon Furnace is a national historic district and historic iron furnace and associated buildings located at Franklin Township in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania. It consists of seven contributing buildings and one contributing structure. They are the iron furnace, office building, the ironmaster's mansion, log worker's house, a residence, the farm manager's residence, the grist mill and the miller's house. The iron furnace was moved to this site in 1805, from its original site one mile upstream. It measures 30 feet square by 30 feet high. The ironmaster's mansion was built in 1851, and is a 2 1/2-story, "L"-shaped frame dwelling. The grist mill dates to 1808, and is a 3 1/2-story, rubble stone building measuring 50 feet by 45 feet. The furnace was in operation from 1796, until it ceased operations in the 1880s. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=172829667 172829667 Home for Orphans and Friendless Children in Huntingdon, PA The orphanage was located in Huntingdon, PA near Juniata College. This photo was shared by Barb Foley. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=175874771 175874771 Lengyel Farm Does anyone recognize this farm house that was located near Aitch? It last belonged to the Lengyel family. A family member is looking for history on the farm. Here is what she had to say of her memories of the location: " I remember turning down a road at a white church. From there I believe that you turned onto a lane that led to a boat ramp at the river. This lane went right past the farm." http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=176886489 176886489 Back View of the Lengyel House http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=176886490 176886490 John Brown Land Purchase from David Black in Allegheny Township in 1815 Before the formation of Blair County, Allegheny County was part of Huntingdon County. This was shared by Keith Kenawell. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=179742199 179742199 Zachariah G. Brown Land Purchase from Aaron Harris in Allegheny Township in 1839 Before the formation of Blair County, Allegheny County was part of Huntingdon County. This was shared by Keith Kenawell. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=179742202 179742202 Page 2 of the Zachariah G. Brown Land Purchase This was shared by Keith Kenawell. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=179742200 179742200 Parade Through Marklesburg Here is the Marklesburg Fire Truck as part of a parade going through Marklesburg. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=181871365 181871365 Brumbaugh Crossing Brumbaugh Crossing was a flag stop on the Huntingdon & East Broad Top Mountain Railroad. When you wanted the train to stop and pick you up, you would put the flag up that is pictured in the background of the photo. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182635647 182635647 Brumbaugh Crossing http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182635649 182635649 H&BTM RR Passenger Train The Huntingdon and Broad Top Mountain Railroad and Coal Company train is passing through Brumbaugh Crossing. Passenger and coal trains ran the line frequently. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182635650 182635650 H&BTM RR Passenger Train Passengers are getting off at Brumbaugh Crossing. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182635651 182635651 Tearing up the track at Brumbaugh Crossing The rails are being taken up at Brumbaugh Crossing as the end of the Huntingdon & Broad Top railroad. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182635648 182635648 Entriken Station http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182635653 182635653 Huntingdon and Broad Top Mountain Railroad Steam Engine http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182641680 182641680 Railroad Tracks at Huntingdon The tracks for both the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Huntingdon and Broad Top Railroad can be seen. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182641681 182641681 Huntingdon School Bus Here is an early Huntingdon School Bus. The driver is unknown. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182641682 182641682 James Creek Church The James Creek Church of the Brethren was lost for the construction of Raystown Lake. It was built in 1860. The congregation was moved to the old Methodist Church in Marklesburg. The man in the photo is unknown. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182641683 182641683 James Creek Church http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182641684 182641684 Marklesburg This photo shows an American flag hanging over the dirt road through Marklesburg. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182641685 182641685 Old Bus This looks like an old school bus, and I'm fairly certain it says Miss Huntingdon on the door. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182641686 182641686 White Oak at Brumbaugh Crossing This white oak was once believed to be the largest tree in the state. It stood beside the Penn Township road going from Brumbaugh Crossing to Route 26, and cars passed right under it. It was on property owned by Rev. Irvin B. Brumbaugh. In 1924, it measured 24 feet in circumference one foot from the ground and the branches measured 94 feet across. It is estimated that the tree stood about 80 feet tall. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182641687 182641687 Train at Huntingdon http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182727132 182727132 Marklesburg Fire Company Front Row: Dean Grove, Eugene Garner, Harold Lynn, Allen Fouse, Roy Scott, Earl Runk, Ralph Norris, Robert Weller, Glenn Mann. Back Row: Ralph Lynn, Bob Launtz, Allen Moberg, Harold Stone, Clair Hetrick, George Brumbaugh, Jim Hetrick, Unknown, Carl Summers, Max Weller, Marlin Fouse. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182727133 182727133 Old Raystown Dam This is a newspaper article showing the old Raystown Dam. It appeared in the Broad Top Bulletin. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182727134 182727134 Schell's Bridge The newest Schell's bridge replaced the one that washed away on March 17, 1936. It was made of steel and placed on the same piers as it's predecessor. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182727135 182727135 Old Stone Church http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182727436 182727436 Trexler Bridge Also known by locals as Schell's Bridge, this bridge was named after the company that constructed it. Although hard to see in the photo, there are actually 23 people in the photo that are on the bridge and in a boat by the middle pier. Irvin Grove Brumbaugh provided the timber for the construction of the bridge. The Juniata & Southern Railroad bridge is located in the background. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182727437 182727437 Train Wreck near Hummel The Hummel Station was located near Shy Beaver on the Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad line. The wreck happened on May 5, 1942, when a H&BT freight train collided with the one car Toonerville. Frank L. Greenleaf was killed in the wreck. http://woodcockvalley.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoID=182727438 182727438