Genealogy of the Woodcock Valley

Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania

Forums

Forum Home > Norris Family > Whatever happened to: William Norris

Dave Norris

With so many Norrises (and other families) migrating to Ohio through the Huntingdon Valley area, I thought that as I researched my own family lineage, I'd post a "Whatever happened to..." for those wondering what became of their cousins.

William Norris was the son of John D. Norris and grandson of Joseph Norris, Sr.  Most places I've seen him listed show that he died "after 1850".  There are so many Williams and Johns etc. who moved to or were born in the area of Ohio that was to become Ashland County, where my ancestry lies.  Here is what info I have found, and believe to refer to this William Norris:

"William Norris, was born in Maryland in 1781, came to Ohio from Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania, in 1823, and first settled on the farm now owned by John L. Metcalf. In 1805 he married Mary Hornoc. He was a captain in the war of 1812. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics he was an old-line Whig.

"He was the father of twelve children, of whom five are living: John; Nancy, wife of George Miller, of Holmes County; Joseph, who married Susan Young, and lives in Ashland County; Matilda, who married Lemuel Burgh, and afterwards Thomas Urie, and lives in Michigan; and Margaret, wife of Hiram Watson, of Knox County, Ohio."  (Transcribed from "History of Ashland County, Ohio with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches," by George William Hill, M.D. - Published by Williams Bros. 1880.)

I have yet to find much info regarding Mary Hornoc, but I believe I've discovered where William and Mary are buried:  in McKay Cemetery, near Hayesville, Ashland County, OH.  (As of this writing there are photos of their headstones at www.findagrave.com.)  The headstone transcriptions read:  "William Norris, died May 22, 1863, aged 81 ys. 5 mo. & 3 dy." Next to him is "Mary - Wife of William Norris, d. May 31, 1849, aged 65 ys."  Calculating back puts William's birthday in December 1781, and Mary's around 1784.

Hopefully knowing a bit more about them, such as his death date in 1863, and Mary's approximate birth date, may help someone else in their research.

--

Dave

My ancestors were farmers.  My roots are in tilled soil.

September 16, 2011 at 5:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

If you are searching for more information, please

Contact Me

You can also visit my personal family database at 

Rootsweb

Join Us on Facebook

Pinterest

Upcoming Events

No upcoming events

Other Sites of Interest

Connect with other genealogists on their blogs: