Genealogy of the Woodcock Valley

Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania

Forums

Forum Home > Civil War Soldiers > Pension Application Files Available

Donna Cunningham

I recently requested and received the complete pension application file for my great, great, grandfather, George S. Blatt, from the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.  It contained a wealth of information, including his middle name (Slagle) and depositions from about a dozen of his neighbors, acquaintances and one of his brothers, Samuel Platt.  In the deposition from Samuel Platt he states George S. Blatt was the only one in the family to spell his name with a "B" as the rest of the family usually spelled it with a "P".  Now I have new places to research!  George S. Blatt was a private in Company D, 110th Regiment, Pennsylvania volunteers infantry.  He enlisted 10/15/1861 and received a disability discharge 10/12/1862 for illness.  He died Feb. 10, 1877 in Wilsontown, Pa.  His widow, Martha (Horning) Blatt applied for a widow's pension, which was denied after a lot of written testimony.  The denial was based upon testimony from one of the war doctors that George Blatt had a heart condition before entering the service, rather than the army causing him to contract heart disease.  Therefore, the pension for his widow was denied.   It is very interesting reading the depositions and how they describe the work my ancestor performed.  Also some of his war experiences were also briefly chronicled.  Very interesting!

September 3, 2011 at 2:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jim Gresham

How do you go about requesting this information?

--
September 7, 2011 at 8:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Deb (Fisher) Riley
Site Owner

Jim, go to the National Archive Record Administration website (NARA) at http://www.nara.gov  or http://www.archives.gov/index.html (both the same website) and get information there on how to request pension transcripts from the Civil War.  They also have information on other service records as well.  There is a fee involved with requesting records.

September 17, 2011 at 9:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

If you are searching for more information, please

Contact Me

You can also visit my personal family database at 

Rootsweb

Join Us on Facebook

Pinterest

Upcoming Events

No upcoming events

Other Sites of Interest

Connect with other genealogists on their blogs: