Genealogy of the Woodcock Valley

Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania

Forums

Forum Home > Other Family Names > Swope Family

Deb (Fisher) Riley
Site Owner

I am a descendent of the Swope family from the Trough Creek Valley area.  However, it is such a large family, that I do not have all of the earliest names tied together yet.  I am wondering if anyone knows who the father of Isaac Swope, born 1813, was.  Isaac married Jane Edwards before 1836.

April 5, 2011 at 8:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Frank Showalter

I have him but do not know his father.  I do have ancestors for Jane Edwards.

April 5, 2011 at 9:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dpc

Swope family

Isaac Bruce Swope b. July 12, 1813

s/o John Thomas Swope (1758) , Sr. and Temperance Stevens

If you are interested I have more on this famiy

dpc (Diane Christine)

April 27, 2011 at 12:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Deb (Fisher) Riley
Site Owner

Diane, I list John and Temperance Stevens with a son Isaac, but I have him being born in 1802.  The Isaac above is 1813.  Does the 1802 Isaac belong somewhere else or is my date just wrong?  I got this info from a database on Rootsweb, so it is entirely possible my information is just downright incorrect!  I would love to take a look at your info.  Maybe I have other errors too...

April 27, 2011 at 9:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sheeder

Frank Showalter at April 5, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Frank,

Would you be able to share your ancestry info with me for Jane Edwards? She was my GGG grandmother. I have that her father was John Wesley Edwards and his father was John Andrew Edwards. Is that correct? There are so many Edwards out there, it is hard to figure out who John Andrew Edward's father was. Any help would be appreciated! 

Jane's daughter, Eleanor T "Ellen" Swope married Abner Sheeder. 

November 19, 2011 at 7:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Frank Showalter

Amber, I would be happy to sharethe info I have.  I am sorry the reply came soo late.  I receintly had a stroke and am getting back on my feet.  I am having trouble with my computor and can not access my files yet.

Frank

April 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Frank Showalter

Sheeder at November 19, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Frank,

Would you be able to share your ancestry info with me for Jane Edwards? She was my GGG grandmother. I have that her father was John Wesley Edwards and his father was John Andrew Edwards. Is that correct? There are so many Edwards out there, it is hard to figure out who John Andrew Edward's father was. Any help would be appreciated! 

Jane's daughter, Eleanor T "Ellen" Swope married Abner Sheeder. 

Sorry for the long delay in answering.  Here is waht I have.  We may be cousins.  My Great Grandmother was Sobrina "Sarah" Catherine Edwards.

Isaac Swope, born 1812/1813 in Bedford County Pa.  He married Jane Edwards (no other info).  They had a son, William R. Swope, born 4 July 1833 in Pa.  (Records of Karen Nash/Motyka, on GenForum, 23 April 1999. Email: montykafam@prodigy.net ;)

Jane Edwards was the daughter of John Wesly Edwards II.  John was, born 18 Oct 1789 in Wells Twp. Fulton Co. Pa. and died in 1854 in Wells Twp. Fulton Co. Pa.  John married Nancy Cook in 1811, in Fulton County  or Union Twp. Huntingdon County, Pa.  Nancy was born abt 1794.   She may be dau. of Ezekaal Cook

John Wesly Edwards II father was John Edwards (my line), born 19 Mar 1745 in England, and baptized 10 May 1745. On 17 Jul 1770 John married Mary Walker, in Frederick County Maryland. He died 6 Nov 1831 in Todd Twp. Huntingdon Co. Pa. and is buried on the Edwards Family Farm.

Mary Walker was born Abt 1750/1755 in Frederick Co. Maryland and died Aft 1789 in Todd Twp. Huntingdon Co. Pa. and is buried on the Edwards Family Farm.

Notes for John Edwards:

Huntingdon County, Pa. Abstracts of Wills, Vol. III, page 356.

Letters of administration were granted Robert Edwards and Joshua Eswards, executors of the estate of John Edwards, deceased, late of Union Township, Nov. 17, 1831.

From Biographical Encyclopedia, page 292. (With inserts from other sources). "John Edwards, an Englishman by birth, came when a young man to America; his first dwelling place here was in (Reisterstown, Baltimore Co.) the State of Maryland; the next in Huntingdon County, and the next at Morrisons Cove, Bedford County, Pa. At the last named place, he settled on some land, but was driven off by the Indians. He then returned to Maryland; after living there for some time, he again came Huntingdon County, and settled some time previous to the Revolutionary War, on the tract of land (known as "White Church" located about mid-way between Broadtop City and Six Mile Run) where Wilson Edwards now resides. He took up about 300 acres of land, on which he built a log house and barn; he also built two other log houses on his farm". (It then goes on to list his marriage date to his wife and then their children and their birth dates). "John Edwards and his wife both died at the homestead, and are buried in Tod Township."

LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF JOHN EDWARDS.  In the name of God Amen, I, John Edwards of Huntingdon County, Union Township, considering the uncertainty of this mortal life and being of sound mind and memory (blessed to almighty God for the same) do make and publish this my last will and testament in manner and form following (that is to say): First, I bequeath my soul to God who gave it and my body to the earth to be decently buried. I will that all my just debts as shall be by me owing at my death, together with my funeral expenses and all charges touching or proving of or otherwise concerning this my last will shall in the first place out of my personal estate and effects be fully paid and satisfied and from and after the payment thereof and subject thereunto, then my will is that all the residue of my goods, stocks, chattles, merchandises, and household furniture shall be indifferently appraised except my bed, and after such appraisement made that the same shall be divided into four equal fourths, one equal fourth whereof, I give and bequeath unto my daughter (Rachel Willet), one other equal fourth whereof, I give and bequeath unto my son, Robert Edwards, one other equal fourth part whereof, I give and bequeath to my son, Joseph Edwards, and the remaining equal part thereof, I give and bequeath to my daughter, Mary McClain for the use of her and her children. And further, I give and bequeath unto my son, Joshua Edwards, his heirs and assigns, all that tract of land together with all buildings, and appurtenances thereunto, belonging on which I and him now reside, to hold to him the said Joshua Edwards, his heirs and assigns forever subject notwithstanding to one hundred and fifty dollars to be given the said Joshua Edwards paid in the manner and form following: namely thirty seven dollars and fifty cents to Joseph Edwards, thirty seven dollars and fifty cents to Rachel Wellet, and thirty seven dollars and fifty cents to Mary McClain. And further, I will and bequeath unto these my four named children all moneys or debts that may or shall be owing to me at my death to be equally divided share and share alike between them. I give and bequeath unto my youngest son, John Wesley Edwards, his heirs and assigns all that tract of land lying and being in Union Township and County aforesaid, and which he now resides, together with the buildings and appurtenances therunto belonging, to have and to hold to him the said John Wesley Edwards, his heirs and assigns forever, and this is all that I give him out of my whole estate. And I appoint the before named Robert Edwards and Joshua Edwards to be executors of this my last will and testament revoking all former wills by me made. In witness whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and seal this thirteenth day of September in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty five.

Signed, sealed, published and declared by the above named John Edwards to be his last will and testament in the presence of us and at his request and in his presence have subscribed our names as witnesses thereunto.

Mathew Atkinson

James Deaver

Signed: John (X) Edwards

Huntingdon County:

Before me the Register for the Probate of Wills and granting letters of Administration in and for the said County, personally appeared Mathew Atkinson and James Deaver, who being sworn according to law do despose and say that they were personnally present and saw and heard the above named John Edwards sign, seal, appoint, and declare the annexed and foregoing instrument of writing as and for his last will and testament, and that they the said Mathew Atkinson and James Deaver did sign their names thereunto as witnesses, in the presence of the Testator and at his instance and request. And that the said Testator was at the time of sound and disposing mind, memory, and understanding to the best of their knowlege and belief.

Sworn and subscribed the 17th day of November, 1831. Befor D.N. Porter, Register.

Signed: Mathew Atkinson

James Deaver

Robert Edwards

Joshua Edwards

Executors of John Edwards, deceased.

Memorandum:

Letters Testamentary were this day granted to Robert and Joshua Edwards, Executors of the last Will and Testament of John Edwards, late of Union Township, deceased. Inventory to be exhibited within one month, and a just and true account execution and settlement for their said Administration within one year.

Given under seal of office this 17th day of November, A.D. 1831.

The early Edwards families in southern Huntingdon and northern Bedford Counties descended from John Edwards.

From a 1903 genealogy of 27 family surnames, including Edwards and Wright. written by Chris H. Bailey.

Pulius V. Lawson, Jr. Family Genealogy (including Edwards and Wright) pub. in Wisconsin in 1903.

Biographical Encyclopedia of Huntingdon, Pa. by Runk.

History of Huntingdon County, by Africa.

1770, John was all ready settled in Maryland.

1785, John came to Todd Twp.

1786, Settled on approx 300 acres near Cooks, Todd Twp. Huntingdon County, Pa.

1788, John was taxed for 150 acres in what was then, Todd Twp. (later Hopewell Twp.) and in Barree Twp. for 200 acres adjacent to Robert Riddle, which he did not occupy, but held under warrant, both in Huntingdon County, Pa.

1798 to 1800, John was an Overseer of the Poor in Union Twp. Huntingdon Co. Pa.

Record of Katherine Edwards Art, on GenForum, 28 February 1999. Email: kate194@earthlink.net

HISTORY of BEDFORD, SOMERSET and FULTON COUNTIES, PENNSYLVANIA. With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of some of its PIONEERS AND PROMINENT MEN. Chicago: Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884

John came from England in 1770, and soon after settled in Bedford county, Pennsylvania.

John and Mary had the following children:

1. Robert Edwards, b. 10 May 1771, Maryland.  d. Jan 1846, Todd Twp. Huntingdon Co. Pa.  On 9 Sep 1789 he married  Mary Houck in Cooks, Todd Twp. Huntingdon Co. Pa.  Mary Houck, the dau. of Jacob Houck and Hannah McClain, was born Abt 1771 in Huntingdon County and died after 1 Sep 1837.  Robert and Mary had 13 children. 

Notes for Robert Edwards: 

Will of John Edwards, 13 September 1825, Union Twp. Huntingdon Co. Pa. Willed one fourth equal part of fathers worth, after the Administration, plus $37.50.

From "True Tales of the Broad Top and surrounding Areas."  Robert Edwards settled on the property that is now known by his name, formerly the Steven Fenner survey. Robert Edwards raised a large family. His brothers were, Joseph, of Wells Valley; Jack and John of Plank Cabin Valley; sister, Mary McClain, also of Plank Cabin Valley.

Robert and Mary lived all their lives in Cooks, Pa.

Huntingdon County Register; Recorder of Clerk of Orphan's Court, Will book 4, pg 459.

Robert Edwards died intestate sometime before 9 Feb. 1846. William Edwards, Administrator of the estate of Robert Edwards, deceased.

Memorandum: Leters of Administration (in common form) were this day granted to William Edwards on the Estate of Robert Edwards, late of Todd Twp. deceased. Inventory to be exhibited within thirty days, and just and true account calculation and reckoning of his said Administration within one year or thereunto legally required.  Given under my hand and seal of office this 9th day of Febuary A.D. 1846.  Jacob Miller, Register. Bond for $550.00.  Samuel Houck and C. Counts, Sureeties.

E-mail from Heanne Creemer, jaycl@jps.net, 20 Oct. 2000.  Robert and Mary had 13 children. one of which was, James, born 20 March 1808.

E-mail from Sharron Bynum, angeicraft@aol.com, 23 Oct. 2000.

2.  Benjamin Edwards b. 1773 and d. abt 1812. 

3.  John Wesley Edwards I b. 13 Sep 1776 in Maryland and d. 5 Aug 1779 in Maryland.

4.  Joseph Edwards Esqr. b. 20 Feb 1777 in Maryland and d. 30 Jun 1834/1839 in Wells Twp. Fulton Co. Pa.  He married Mary Elizabeth Wright, the daughter of William Wright, 30 Jun 1792 in Hopewell Twp. Bedford Co. Pa.  Mary was b. abt 1776 in Hopewell Twp. Bedford Co. Pa. and died in Broadtop Twp. Bedford Co. Pa.  Joseph and Mary had 9 children. (My line) Notes for Joseph Edwards: 

Will of John Edwards, 13 September 1825, Union Twp. Huntingdon Co. Pa. Willed one fourth equal part of fathers worth, after the Administration, plus $37.50.

HISTORY of BEDFORD, SOMERSET and FULTON COUNTIES, PENNSYLVANIA. With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of some of its PIONEERS AND PROMINENT MEN. Chicago: Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884 Methodist Episcopal. - Among the settlers who came into Wells' valley about 1790 were several families of Methodists. They probably had stated worship at private houses long before a church edifice was built, and it is believed that a class was formed before 1800. In 1818 they built a meeting-house, the first in Wells' valley, a simple log structure. In 1828 it was torn down and its place supplied by a new and more commodious edifice, which was built under the leadership of Joseph Woodcock. Joseph Edwards, Samuel Willett and Nathan Green were among the earliest members of the Methodist church, and were chief builders of the first meeting- house. The church now has fifty-five members and the Sabbath school seventy.

5.  Rachel Edwards  b. 1 Apr 1778 in Maryland d. 3 Aug 1851 in Hopewell, Bedford Co, Pa. and buried in Wells Valley Methodist Cemetery, Fulton Co. Pa.  She married Samuel Willett, M.D. in 1799 in Bedford County.  Samuel was b. 15 Jul 1768, in Maryland and d. 1 May 1857 in Wells Twp. Fulton Co. Pa.  There were 10 children on record. 

History of Huntingdon Co. by Africa, pg 248. Sanuel was an undertaker in Clay Twp. Three Springs Borough. Also a trustee to the United Brethern in Christ and Sunday School Superintendent at Three Springs Borough.

6.  Mary Edwards b. 13 Aug 1784 in Maryland, d. 21 May 1852 in Todd Twp. Huntingdon Co. Pa.  Married Samuel McClain, M.D. in 1808 in Union Twp. Huntingdon Co. Pa. Samuel was b. 1776 and d. 20 Jan 1842 in Cooks Mills, Todd Twp. Huntingdon Co. Pa.  Mary was his second wife.

7.  Joshua Edwards b. 29 Jul 1787 in Huntingdon County, d. 24 Jan 1856 in Todd Twp. Huntingdon Co. Pa. and buried in Mt. Pleasant Cemetary, Todd Twp. Huntingdon Co. Pa. He married Barbara Barnet, 24 Oct 1811 in Todd Twp. Huntingdon Co. Pa. Barbara was b. 27 Aug 1787 in Washington Co. Maryland and d. 6 Dec 1863 in Huntingdon Co. Pa. and burired in Mt. Pleasant Cemetary, Todd Twp. Huntingdon Co. Pa.  There were 13 children on record. Notes for Joshua Edwards: 

From "Biographical Encyclopedia of Juniata Valley, Conprising the Counties of Huntingdon, Mifflin, Juniata, and Perry, Pa."  Joshua Edwards, son of John, was born on the homestead, where he spent his life, a farmer, like his father. To farming he added the occupation of stock raising and carding. He was a very estimable man, widely and favorably known. In 1836, he built a fulling mill, a log structure, on Trough Creek. He was a Whig, and afterwards a Republican. He served the township as supervisor. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church . He died January 21, 1858, and his wife, December 6, 1865. He was a good man, well known throughout the vicinity, and liked as well as he was known.

From Huntingdon County Wills and Orphans Court Records, Will Book 5, page 295. " I, do certify that this is my wish for Allen Edwards, to administer on the estate of Joshua Edwards, late of Todd Twp. Huntingdon Co, deceased." Witnesses: John Terrel; A.Y. Shaw; Joshua Edwards.  Signed by: Barbara Edwards (mark)

Memorandum: Letter of Administration in common form were this day granted to Allen Edwards on the estate of Joshua Edwards, late of Todd Township, Huntingdon Co, deceased.  Inventory to be exibited in one month from this date and a just and true account, calculation and reckoning of the said Administration in one year from the date thereof or when thereunto legally required. Given under seal of Office this 22nd day of February A.D. 1859. Henry Glazer, Register.  Bond in $1,000.00 with Jos. Edwards and N.G. Horton as sureties.

Orphans Court Docket H, page 202 (an outline of record).  1856, No.127, Joshua Edwards, late of Todd Twp. died intestate in January, 1856, leaving a widow named Barbara Edwards and ten children (living at time of this record).

1850 Census, 24 January, Todd Twp. Huntingdon Co. Pa. a farmer with real estate valued at $1800.00.

Barbara may have been born in Broad Top, Huntingdon Co. Pa.

From Huntingdon County Wills and Orphans Court Records, Will Book 6, page 73.  Renunciation of the Heirs of Barbara Edwards, deceased.  Whereas, Abednego Edwards is about to take Letters of Administration on the estate of Barbera Edwards of Todd Twp. deceased. And we the heirs of the said Barbara Edwards are satisfied for the said Abegnego Edwards to administer on the above estate. Therefore, we are the proper authorities of Huntingdon Co. to grant the said Abegnego Edwards Letters of Administration, April 22nd, 1864 on the aboved named Estate.  Signed: Allen Edwards; Wilson Edwards; Sophia Price; Barbara Thompson

Mt. Pleasant Cemetary, Todd Twp. Huntingdon Co. Pa. also called Cooks Cem.

8.  John Wesley Edwards II b. 18 Oct 1789, d 1854.

The father of John Edwards, b. 19 Mar 1745 in England is believed to be, John Edwards, baptized, 24 Nov 1720 in the Parish of Druid Rocks, County Denbigh, Wales.  Notes on this John Edwards: 

THE CONNECTION OF THIS JOHN EDWARDS AND THE SON JOHN HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN. IT IS ENTERED AS SPCULATION. SOME HAVE THOUGHT THE SON TO BE THE JOHN EDWARDS ON THIS CHART. I DO NOT BELIEVE IT TO BE TRUE.

Fulton County Historical Society, Pa.

May 17, 2012 at 9:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Frank Showalter

Swope is a family name with a large number of  folks in my data base.  I would like to look at it.  Your line is not yet connected to mine.

May 17, 2012 at 9:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sharron Swope Mirikitani

Isaac Swope and Jane Edwards are my 2nd great grandparents. I have not been able to find enough concrete evidence to link him to Isaac Swope to his parents.

They are found in the 1850 census living in Tod(d) township, Huntingdon County and then Carbon township in 1860. Many think they moved, but Carbon township was carved out of Tod(d) township in 1858. History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania by J. Simpson Africa Philadelphia, PA: Louis H. Everts, 1883 "CARBON, so named because of its abundant coal deposit, was erected into a township April 23, 1858. The territory which it includes was taken from the township of Tod, which it bounds to the north."

My lineage is through their son, William Robert Swope, father of Isaac Bruce Swope, Sr., father of Isaac Bruce Swope, Jr., my father.  This Swope line had a lot of interaction with the Sheeder family. My father affectionately spoke about the Sheeder family. The scrap of paper, given to me in the 1960's, had notes about some of the family connections.

August 8, 2012 at 5:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

If you are searching for more information, please

Contact Me

You can also visit my personal family database at 

Rootsweb

Join Us on Facebook

Pinterest

Upcoming Events

No upcoming events

Other Sites of Interest

Connect with other genealogists on their blogs: