Genealogy of the Woodcock Valley

Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania

Forums

Forum Home > Householder Family > John Householder 1781-1856

Deb (Fisher) Riley
Site Owner

I was going through my "The Lost and Forgotten Cemeteries of Huntingdon County Pennsylvania" book by Linneria B. Wheland, and I found the following entry for the Huyett Cemetery of Hartslog Valley:

John Householder, July 4, 1781 - Jan. 31, 1856

There has been discussion about this John Householder in different forums, and I thought I would add this info.  I know that some people say he was born about 1787.  It is quite possible his tombstone was misread or that there was a typo in the book.  However, the book does say 1781.

March 27, 2011 at 12:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jessica Oswalt

Hi Deb,

Thank you for the information. The year 1787 was just an estimate based upon the 1850 census, but 1781 might be correct.

Does Huyett Cemetery still exist?

Thanks,

Jessica

March 27, 2011 at 5:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Darla Launtz Bickel

My Great  grandmother was Mary Elizabeth Householder whose father was  John Housholder born 9-18-1807 died 9-26-1880.  He was married to a Catharine Vandevanter who was born 12-15-1815  died 9-28-1900. My mother, Marybelle Frank  got into the DAR on the Vandevanter side of the family. I have the Vandevanter lineage back to 1629 in Holland,

March 27, 2011 at 7:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Deb (Fisher) Riley
Site Owner

Jessica, I assume it still exists.  I personally do not know where it is.  The book just says Hartslog Valley.  Maybe someone will post who knows more.

Darla, can you give me a list of Andrew and Mary Frank's children?  I list 9 children, but only have names for 6 of them.

March 27, 2011 at 9:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jessica Oswalt

Hi Deb,

I took a look on the internet, and it looks as though it might be halfway between Alexandria and Huntingdon in Porter Township. I can't tell from the satellite image if any tombstones still exist there, though.

Here is a link to the image: http://www.histopolis.com/Place/US/PA/Huntingdon_County/Huyett_Cemetery

Does anyone else know anything about this cemetery?

Thanks,

Jessica

March 28, 2011 at 12:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Deborah Lesslie

Yes, it exists today. I had a photo of John's stone sent to me in the last few days.

April 13, 2011 at 12:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jessica Oswalt

Hi Deborah,

Thank you for the information. Would you be willing to e-mail me a copy of John's tombstone? My e-mail is jess_history at yahoo dot com.

How are you related to John Householder?

Thanks,

Jessica

April 13, 2011 at 10:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Deborah Lesslie

I will get that to you!

My grandmother was Rose Householder Holzshu, d/o James Clayton, s/o JFN and Samantha.

I have found some great distant relatives who have helped me start to piece this family together. The repetitive use of names is so confusing!

April 14, 2011 at 9:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Deb (Fisher) Riley
Site Owner

A photo of John Householder's tombstone is now added in the Other Families photo album.  You can access it directly by clicking on the link.

April 15, 2011 at 7:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Leslie Kyle

I just posted a few of the photo's I have from the Huyett cemetery, the cemetery still does exsist to some degree as you can see by the photo's. My cousin owns the land, his mother gave me permission to take the photo's. I'm not sure I'd want to get caught on his property without permission from the storys I've been told. Your not really missing anything, my cousin plowed most of the stones into a pile and there is only 2 small corners left. You can see about what's left from my photo's. I assume all of the Huyett stone's are gone, I didn't see any Huyett's at all. I was warned of the destruction by his mother and several neighbors before I got to the cemetery. It made me sick to my stomach!

November 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

rike

http://www.angelfire.com/in/hausholter/johanadam.html

March 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

rike

In a tiny village in Germany the year is approximately 1625. A child is born, his name is Johannes, he grows into a fine man. He has children of his own, now I'm not sure if these are all of his children, but the ones that have been found are:(

Johannes (Hans) Michel born: 1650

Lorentz born: 1657

Anna Catherina born abt: 1668

The years go on and Hans Michel becomes a young man and takes as his wife, Maria Margaretha ___________. Now they have children, here are the children that have been located:

Johannes born: about 1690

Maria Margaretha born: unknown

The years advance once again. Johannes takes a wife, Anna Barbara Siegel. Their known children are:

Johann Michel born: February 2, 1715

Johannes born: October 18, 1716

Maria Margaretha born: June 28, 1718

Johannes (Hans) Adam born: December 20, 1719

Maria Barbara born: September 25, 1721

Maria Elizabetha born: abt. 1720

Johannes (Hans) born: August 13, 1723

March 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

If you are searching for more information, please

Contact Me

You can also visit my personal family database at