Genealogy of the Woodcock Valley

Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania

Forums

Forum Home > Other Family Names > John Householder

Jessica Oswalt

I am looking for information on John Householder. I don't have very much information and the majority of it comes from his grandson's biography. Here are the facts:

He may have been born abt. 1787, possibly in Maryland. His father's name was Adam.

He served in the War of 1812 under Isaac Vandevander. He married a Mrs. White, and had at least three children: David, Michael, and Barbara.

John's grandson's biography stated that he died in 1854, but the year is incorrect. He died in 1856.

Does anyone have any additional information on him? Does anyone know what his wife's maiden name was?

Thanks in advance,

Jessica

December 12, 2010 at 10:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Carolyn Carroll

Jessica Oswalt at December 12, 2010 at 10:44 PM

I am looking for information on John Householder. I don't have very much information and the majority of it comes from his grandson's biography. Here are the facts:

He may have been born abt. 1787, possibly in Maryland. His father's name was Adam.

He served in the War of 1812 under Isaac Vandevander. He married a Mrs. White, and had at least three children: David, Michael, and Barbara.

John's grandson's biography stated that he died in 1854, but the year is incorrect. He died in 1856.

Does anyone have any additional information on him? Does anyone know what his wife's maiden name was?

Thanks in advance,

Jessica

Do you know if James Householder that was in Rays Cove Bedford Co ties into your John Householder.  James was born 1815 according to the 1850 Census and 1820 according to the 1860 census.  He was married to Margaret.  There was also a George Householder in 1840 in Rays Cove, Bedford County. 1850 and 1860 there was a James Householder.  He was born between 1815-1820, I can not confirm his parents but he wasmarried to a Margaret. 

1850 East Providence Twp., Bedford Co., PA Oct 15, 1850

James Householder 35 Laborer PA born in PA

Margaret 40

Catherine 12

John 6

George 4

Hamilton 1

1860 Census East Providence Twp., Bloody Run Borough 329-330

James Householder 40 Farmer 1000 1000 All born in PA

Margaret 48

John 16 Laborer

George 14

Hamilton 11

Rosann 8

Andrew 6

Do you know the connection between the Huntingdon Co Householders and the Bedford Co ones?  Are there any early wills, deeds or anything to list children? 

December 19, 2010 at 7:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jessica Oswalt

Hi Carolyn,

I apologize for not responding sooner. I wish I could answer your question, but unfortunately, I don't know. There may be a psosibility, but I haven't done much research on my Householder ancestors. There are few Householder families who lived in Huntingdon and Bedford counties during John's lifetime; however, I haven't had a chance yet to connect John to any of the Householder families. I do know that John's father's name is Adam. I wish I could help more.

Thanks,

Jessica

December 22, 2010 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tina Petersen

Jessica Oswalt at December 22, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Hi Carolyn,

I apologize for not responding sooner. I wish I could answer your question, but unfortunately, I don't know. There may be a psosibility, but I haven't done much research on my Householder ancestors. There are few Householder families who lived in Huntingdon and Bedford counties during John's lifetime; however, I haven't had a chance yet to connect John to any of the Householder families. I do know that John's father's name is Adam. I wish I could help more.

Thanks,

Jessica

jessica:  I have record of a Adam John Householder born July 4, 1771 in maryland, usa married a mrs White in about 1800. Died in Porter Township, Huntington, Pennsylvania 1856. Buried in Huylett Cemetery, McConnelstown, Huntington, PA.  Children that i have are:

Margaret Householder (born 1802)

Elizabeth householder (1804)

John H. Householder (1807)

David Householder (1810)

Michael

William

mary Anne

Hope some of that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Tina

January 15, 2011 at 12:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jessica Oswalt

Hi Tina,

Thank you for the information. Do you happen to have anything on a Barbara, either as a middle name for one of John's children? Do you know what church John might have attended, or have any family bible records for his family? What was Mrs. White's first name?

I'm sorry for all of the questions. Any guidence or suggestions as to where I should direct my research are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jessica

January 16, 2011 at 1:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Deb (Fisher) Riley
Site Owner

Tina Petersen at January 15, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Jessica Oswalt at December 22, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks,

Jessica

jessica:  I have record of a Adam John Householder born July 4, 1771 in maryland, usa married a mrs White in about 1800. Died in Porter Township, Huntington, Pennsylvania 1856. Buried in Huylett Cemetery, McConnelstown, Huntington, PA.  Children that i have are:

Margaret Householder (born 1802)

Elizabeth householder (1804)

John H. Householder (1807)

David Householder (1810)

Michael

William

mary Anne

Hope some of that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Tina

I have this family in my database, and I do list a daughter named Barbara.  However, I don't know where I got this information (I was not always careful about recording sources; I have "lived and learned!").  My vague info looks like this:

Descendants of John Householder

Generation No. 1

1. JOHN1 HOUSEHOLDER was born Abt. 1787, and died 1856. He married DAUGHTER WHITE.

Children of JOHN HOUSEHOLDER and DAUGHTER WHITE are:

i. DAVID HOUSEHOLDER.

ii. MICHAEL HOUSEHOLDER.

iii. BARBARA HOUSEHOLDER.

January 17, 2011 at 12:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jessica Oswalt

Hi Deb,

Thank you for the information, and I apologize for not responding sooner.

The information you have is what I have. My sources include the biography of John F. Householder, the administration records for the estate of John Householder (recorded in will book 5), and the 1850 census in which John Householder was living with Barbara's family.

I hope  I can figure out when Barbara was born, and when John married (unknown) White.

Thanks,

Jessica

January 23, 2011 at 1:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tina Petersen

The information that I have shows John Adam Householder marrying a "mrs. White" in 1800 in Maryland, USA. I will have to double check the children's names and birthdates to see if any of them match the dates you have for Barbara.

--
January 31, 2011 at 10:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Karen

Hi Deb.

Thanks so much for your  transcription of the McConnellstown Cemetery. I found a marriage announcement in the Huntingdon Journal; Dec 6, 1843 for Miss Mary A. Householder to William Campbell both of Walker township. I am assuming she is Mary Ann w/o William Campbell b. 2 Apr 1822 d.26 Oct 1892. The 1850 Walker twp census taker spelled their last name "Camel" .

Do you have any information on her parents?

I too am researching  Adam Householder's line. The name Mary Ann shows up with Michael Householder b ca 1774 &  and in some information for John Householder b.ca 1787 

Has anyone connected the relationship of Michael 1774 & John 1787?

Thanks,

Karen

February 4, 2011 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Deb (Fisher) Riley
Site Owner

Karen at February 4, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Hi Deb.

Thanks so much for your  transcription of the McConnellstown Cemetery. I found a marriage announcement in the Huntingdon Journal; Dec 6, 1843 for Miss Mary A. Householder to William Campbell both of Walker township. I am assuming she is Mary Ann w/o William Campbell b. 2 Apr 1822 d.26 Oct 1892. The 1850 Walker twp census taker spelled their last name "Camel" .

Do you have any information on her parents?

I too am researching  Adam Householder's line. The name Mary Ann shows up with Michael Householder b ca 1774 &  and in some information for John Householder b.ca 1787 

Has anyone connected the relationship of Michael 1774 & John 1787?

Thanks,

Karen

Hi Karen,

Interestingly, I don't think I have Mary A. Householder married to William Campbell in my database!  The closest I come is Mary A. Householder, as a daughter of Michael Householder and Martha Westbrook.  However, I do not have any dates for Mary.  Is this the same Mary who married William Campbell?  I personally do not have Michael 1774 and John 1787 connected - not to say they aren't; I just do not know enough at this point.  I am curious to know more.

Deb

February 4, 2011 at 8:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jessica Oswalt

Hi Tina, Karen and Deb,

Thank you for the information. I apologize for not responding sooner. I wish I knew whether or not John and Michael were related. Both men had grandsons with the first name of John, and their biographies both show up in the same book. Those biographies suggest that John and Michael were both born in Maryland, so it may be possible.

Thanks,

Jessica

February 11, 2011 at 8:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

If you are searching for more information, please

Contact Me

You can also visit my personal family database at 

Rootsweb

Join Us on Facebook

Pinterest

Upcoming Events

No upcoming events