Genealogy of the Woodcock Valley

Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania

Forums

Forum Home > Family Names Roll Call > James Cowan who married Sarah Lane in 1858 Springfield Twp., Huntingdon Co.. PA

Dana M

I would like to make contact with anyone who could connect me with a male descendant (who bears the name of Cowan/Cowen) of James Cowan who married Sarah Lane in 1858 in Springfield Twp., Huntingdon Co., Pennsylvania.  Thank you.

October 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sheeder
I have a James and Sarah who had a son, James Cowan(s), born 1872. This James married my ggg aunt Margaret Loretta Rourke. The other children I have for James & Sarah are Jacob, Sophia, Sarah, Mary, Rhoda and Effie. I have descendent info for James Jr and Margaret.
October 1, 2011 at 8:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dana M

Sheeder at October 1, 2011 at 8:20 PM

I have a James and Sarah who had a son, James Cowan(s), born 1872. This James married my ggg aunt Margaret Loretta Rourke. The other children I have for James & Sarah are Jacob, Sophia, Sarah, Mary, Rhoda and Effie. I have descendent info for James Jr and Margaret.

Hi, Thank you for replying to my post.  Sorry it took so long to reply, but I hadn't checked the site for a while.  This is indeed the same family for which I am looking to find a male descendant whose name is, Cowan.

My James Cowan/Cowen b. Abt 1794 in Maryland and his wife, Sarah b. Abt 1795 in Maryland are found living in Clay Twp,, Huntingdon Co., PA in the 1850 census.  In that census are listed a son, James, a daughter Ann, and another female named Ann Sollers b. Abt 1788, who is likely the sister of either James or Sarah because of her age being so close to theirs.  James Cowan was also a witness to the will of Thomas Sollers who died in 1837.  Thomas Sollers was married to Elizabeth Pearce.  My ancestor was the sister of Ann and James Cowan.  Her name was Sophia.  Below are the names of Sophia's siblings that I know.

Children of James Cowan b. Abt 1794 & Sarah b. Abt 1795:

1.  Sophia b. 18 Dec 1825 (calculated from gravestone)  married Jacob Slates

2. James b. 25 Jan 1830 married Sarah Lane

3. Ann b. about 1827 who married ?

The line you mentioned in your email descends from James Cowan who married Sarah Lane.  See this link below for further info.  This link lists the father of James Cowan as "Samuel" which is incorrect: http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jwible&id=I045952

This line has been a complete brick wall for me and I have only made contact with one other person who descends from this line.  The only additional info she has given me is that James Cowan, the elder, came from Baltimore.  But, she is not certain if that means the city of Baltimore or Baltimore County in Maryland.  Would you know any additional info about this family?

Since I descend from a daughter (Sophia) there are no Cowans in my line.  So, I am hoping to find another male Cowan from this line who would be willing to take a family tree DNA test to see if the results can be matched up to any other Cowan line.  There is a lot of info on the Cowan DNA project.   if you would like to see it, click on this link, then click on "Y-DNA Results" on the blue bar across the top.  You can view the chart several ways.  The "colorized" chart groups individuals according to their test results.  http://www.familytreedna.com/public/cowan/

If you know of anyone with the last name of Cowan who would be interested in taking a DNA test (it can even be a child), please let me know.  I would be more than happy to purchase the kit and mail it to that individual to submit directly for testing.  My husband took a DNA test a few years ago and it amounted to filling out a little info (anonymously) and spitting saliva into two little tubes.  Then, mailing the kit back.  It took about 4 weeks for him to get the results.

Thanks for your response.  I would love to hear from you.

February 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sheeder

I don't have any info on possible living Cowans. James Cowan and Margaret O'Rourke had several daughters and two sons, Berlin Cowan (appears in a 1930 Census, age 20) and James Milford Cowan b.12 Nov 1912 d 8 Dec 1971. He married Miriam Leona Gracey b 1922 d 1946. There was a daughter Naomi Cowan b 9 May 1939 d 5 Oct 1991 in Palm Beach, FL. I don't know if they had any other children, but i will let you know if i find any other children. James and Margaret's daughter, Myrtle Cote just passed away last year in May, survived by her sister Rose Thomas b. 1915.

OBIT:

Myrtle Evelyn Cote, 93, of Cherry Hill, NJ passed away on Monday, May
23, 2011 at his home.
Born on April 1, 1918 in Robertsdale a daughter of the late James and
Margaret (Rourke) Cowan.
On July 16, 1943 in San Antonio, TX she married Victor V. Cote. He
died February 1, 1985.
She is survived by a son, Vic Cote; grand daughter, Victoria Malone,
two great grand daughters, Brittany Miranda and Tamara Malone; a
great grandson, Trent Vangalis; two great great grandsons, Daniel
Miranda and Samuel Miranda and a sister Rose Thomas.
She was preceded in death by a daughter, Jolie Noel (Cote) Tumeo in
October of 2009 and seven sisters and two brothers.
Mrs. Cote worked at Becton-Dickinson in East Rutherford, NJ for 35
years until her retirement. She had also worked as a process server
part time.
She was of the Baptist Faith.
Graveside services were held at the Mt. Pleasant Cemetery with Pastor
Suzanne Detterline.

March 21, 2012 at 11:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sheeder

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dukefirst&id=I37041

Please check the above link from Duchesne "Duke" Clark's site. Looks like Berlin Cowan had two sons, Dennis (deceased) and a Living Cowan. It also looks like there are some living male Cowans from these lines. Good luck!

March 21, 2012 at 11:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

alice

I am a descendant of the Cowans, my mother was one of 18 children 13 girls and 5 boys my mother was Margaret Pededa Cowan, I knew James, Berlin, Rhoda, Neveda, Beatrice,Dorothy, Myrtle, Edith,etc. I just visited their old homestead that my grandfather built James Cowan a log hand hewn house which is still standing. I have 2 living brothers, and my cousin Vic Cote who is son to Myrtle. We might be able to supply some other info.

August 27, 2012 at 6:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

If you are searching for more information, please

Contact Me

You can also visit my personal family database at 

Rootsweb

Join Us on Facebook

Pinterest

Upcoming Events

No upcoming events

Other Sites of Interest

Connect with other genealogists on their blogs: