Genealogy of the Woodcock Valley

Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania

Forums

Forum Home > Family Names Roll Call > Jessica Oswalt is researching ...

Jessica Oswalt

Oswalt /Oswald

Detwiler/ Detweiler

Householder/ Housholder

If you are researching any of these names, please contact me at jess_history@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Jessica

August 30, 2010 at 11:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jim Strong

Hello Jessica,

I see you are interested in the family of Householder.  My cousin John Houser's mother was Helen Householder who passed away in the early 50's of cancer.  Our families lived in ..McConnellstown. 

September 19, 2010 at 5:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jessica Oswalt

Hi Jim,

I apologize for not responding sooner. I've been very busy with school work.

My Householder ancestor is Barbara Householder. She married Jacob Detwiler/Detweiler in 1836.  I don't have much information on any of the Householder families, but I believe her father may have been a John Householder who died in Huntingdon County in 1856. The only proof I have is a biography of John Householder's grandson, John F. Householder, and that biography can be found here: http://files.usgwarchives.net/pa/huntingdon/bios/runk/householder-john-f.txt. In that biography, John Householder's children are listed as David, Barbara, and Michael. (I do have a copy of the will book's copy of the letters of administration that give the names of John's sons.)

The only other piece of evidence that I have the 1850 census that lists a John Householder living in the household of Jacob Detwiler/Detweiler.

Thanks,

Jessica

October 29, 2010 at 8:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jim Gresham

Hi, Jessica,

I am interested in Malinda Detwiler, daughter of Joseph Detwiler and Elizabeth Krieger/Klinger.  She was married to William Shontz, Davis Enyeart and William Shultz.  She and Davis Enyeart had two children.  Davis and his first wife Martha Frank are my wife's great-grandparents.

Any information you have about her would be appreciated.

--
October 29, 2010 at 9:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jessica Oswalt

Hi Jim,

I wish I could share information with you, but I don't have any information on a Malinda Detwiler. My ancestor, Jacob was the son of a Joseph Detwiler and Catherine Miller. There seems to be several different Detwiler families in the Huntingdon County area, but I haven't had a chance to do any research outside of my Detwiler ancestors.

I'm sorry. I wish I could have helped.

Thanks,

Jessica

November 4, 2010 at 10:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark V. Johnston
Jessica, I have a Caroline Oswalt (1841-1862) who married a James Johnston but died 13 months after they married. James then married Josephine Reed in 1868 and I have one of their children, James Arnold Johnston marrying Myra Detwiler, daughter of Silas Detwiler & Mary Mock.......I do not have any record of any children born in the union between Caroline Oswalt & James Johnston.
December 7, 2010 at 1:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jessica Oswalt

Hi Mark,

I didn't know if you already had this, but I found the marriage announcement for Caroline and James here.

The only Caroline Oswalt in Juniata Township that I know of was the daughter of John Oswalt and Juliana Hawn, and I suspect your Caroline is the same person. John Oswalt was the son of Benjamin Oswalt and Mary (Her maiden might possibly be Rough or Robb, but I don't know for sure.) Benjamin Oswalt and Mary are my direct ancestors, and I descend their their son, Adam. I posted a more complete list of their children here.

Unfortunately, I don't know very much about the Detwilers. My ancestors are Joseph Detwiler and Catherine Miller, and I descend from them through their son, Jacob. Do you know who Silas's parents were? I'm uncertain as to how my Detwilers are connected to the other Detwiler families in Huntingdon County.

Thanks,

Jessica

December 7, 2010 at 4:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Esther Parsons

Hi Jessica!

I just found out that Elizabeth Householder (1804-1870?) is connected to my tree by marrying Moses Hamer [1801-1888].  They had about 10 kids and raised them in Walker Twp.

Esther

December 8, 2010 at 12:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jessica Oswalt

Hi Esther,

I don't have anything on an Elizabeth Householder, but I don't have much information on my Householder ancestors. There is a Michael Householder, and she may be a daughter of his.

I believe my ancestor, Barbara Householder, was the daughter of John Householder. According to the biography of John's grandson, John F. Householder, John Householder (d. 1856) had three children: David, Michael and Barbara.

I wish I had more information. Do you know who the parents of Elizabeth Householder are?

Thanks,

Jessica

December 8, 2010 at 2:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Esther Parsons

Hi Jessica,

I do not know who Elizabeth Householder's parents were.....not yet, but the search continues. 

Thanks for including that link to the biography.  I found some others that matched folks in my tree.

Esther

December 9, 2010 at 11:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jessica Oswalt

Hi Esther,

Thank you for the information. I wish I had more information on the Householders, but I don't.

I glad the biography was helpful, though.

Thanks,

Jessica

December 12, 2010 at 10:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Karen

Hi Jim My husband is a grandson of Irma Householder Rhodes. Her Aunt was Irma Householder Strong 1875-1966. and her sister was Helen Householder who married James A. Houser. I'm sure we are connected in there somewhere! One of my brick walls is Harry & Sally McElwain grandparents of Irma, Ray & Helen.

Hi Jessica & Esther. I too have been working to sort & connect the Johns & Michaels.

The newspaper listed Michael "of Alexandria" as executer for John 1787-1856 That info seemed to make things line up to make some sense.

The 1850 Census

Walker twp

dwelling #) Name, born ca.

25) Margaret ( Householder ) Kyper, 1801 & family

In 1860 Michael age 88, 1772 lives with them

41) Mary Camel, 1823, husband William [ William Campbell married Miss Mary Ann Householder both of Walker twp 30 Nov 1843; Cemetery info & 1830 & 1840 Census match her to Michael 1774]

96) Elizabeth ( Householder ) Hamer, 1804 & Family [ most likely daughter of Michael 1774 her neighbor ]

97) Michael Householder, 1774 & Martha ( Westbrook ) Householder, 1781

101) David Householder, 1809 & Lydia ( Megahan ) Householder, 1805 & Family

[son of John 1787 ]

121) John Householder, 1787 living with daughter

Barbara ( Householder ) Detwiler, 1813 & Family

[ 1840 Hopewell Twp Michael b.btw 1810-1820, John b. btw 1760-1770?, & Jacob Detwiler with "wife" b. btw 1800-1810, live side by side by side]

Alexandria

107) M. Householder, 1813 & Family [ Michael son of John 1787]

Penn twp

32) John Householder 1806 & Family Wagon maker[ son of Michael 1774]

33) George Householder 1798 & Family Shoemaker [ make my day!!!! I beleive he is Mr George Householder of Bedford who married Mrs. Mary Ridenour of Huntingdon in Jan 1823]

Most of my info comes from the Bios of John F.N. Householder, John W. Householder, Michael Hamer, and Daniel Kyper

It's like looking for those last few pieces of the puzzle that got knocked off the table. I know they are here somewhere!

Karen

February 5, 2011 at 1:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Deb (Fisher) Riley
Site Owner

Karen, who were the parents of Irma Householder Rhodes? 

February 7, 2011 at 8:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Karen

Hi Deb,

Irma's parents were William B. (1860-1920)& Minie McElwain (1879 -1955) Householder. William went by "Bert".  He was the oldest child of JFN & Samantha Householder and worked as a plasterer contractor. He and Minie lived in McConnellstown in 1910 & 1920. Minie was born in Punxsutawney and died in McConnellstown. Karen

February 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jessica Oswalt

Hi Karen,

I apologize for not responding sooner. The Michael Householder who administered John's estate, like you stated, was John's son. Originally, the letters of administration were offered to David Householder, John's older son; however, David requested that his brother Michael administer the estate. (Barbara was not mentioned in the administration records. She and her family had moved to Michigan in 1854.

I wish I had more information on the Householder families outside of the census records, the biography and administration records. So, I don't know if the Michael Householder married to Martha Westbrook is related to John Householder b. about 1787, although both were supposedly born in Maryland according the biographies of their grandsons, John F. N. and John W. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a connection, but I don't know. Do you know what church the Householders may have attended?

Thank you for the information about the other  biographies, and again, I'm sorry for not responding sooner.

February 11, 2011 at 8:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jim Strong

Karen at February 5, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Hi Jim My husband is a grandson of Irma Householder Rhodes. Her Aunt was Irma Householder Strong 1875-1966. and her sister was Helen Householder who married James A. Houser. I'm sure we are connected in there somewhere! One of my brick walls is Harry & Sally McElwain grandparents of Irma, Ray & Helen.

Hi Jessica & Esther. I too have been working to sort & connect the Johns & Michaels.

The newspaper listed Michael "of Alexandria" as executer for John 1787-1856 That info seemed to make things line up to make some sense.

The 1850 Census

Walker twp

dwelling #) Name, born ca.

25) Margaret ( Householder ) Kyper, 1801 & family

In 1860 Michael age 88, 1772 lives with them

41) Mary Camel, 1823, husband William [ William Campbell married Miss Mary Ann Householder both of Walker twp 30 Nov 1843; Cemetery info & 1830 & 1840 Census match her to Michael 1774]

96) Elizabeth ( Householder ) Hamer, 1804 & Family [ most likely daughter of Michael 1774 her neighbor ]

97) Michael Householder, 1774 & Martha ( Westbrook ) Householder, 1781

101) David Householder, 1809 & Lydia ( Megahan ) Householder, 1805 & Family

[son of John 1787 ]

121) John Householder, 1787 living with daughter

Barbara ( Householder ) Detwiler, 1813 & Family

[ 1840 Hopewell Twp Michael b.btw 1810-1820, John b. btw 1760-1770?, & Jacob Detwiler with "wife" b. btw 1800-1810, live side by side by side]

Alexandria

107) M. Householder, 1813 & Family [ Michael son of John 1787]

Penn twp

32) John Householder 1806 & Family Wagon maker[ son of Michael 1774]

33) George Householder 1798 & Family Shoemaker [ make my day!!!! I beleive he is Mr George Householder of Bedford who married Mrs. Mary Ridenour of Huntingdon in Jan 1823]

Most of my info comes from the Bios of John F.N. Householder, John W. Householder, Michael Hamer, and Daniel Kyper

It's like looking for those last few pieces of the puzzle that got knocked off the table. I know they are here somewhere!

Karen

Hi Karen,

Helen Houser was my aunt .Yes she was married to my mother's(Lillian Grace Houser Strong)brother James A Houser. You indicate a person by the name of Irma Householder Strong.  What was her husband's name??  My great great grandfather Andrew Strong was married to Sarah Elizabeth or Elizabeth Sarah Robb who came to McConnellstown area in the mid 1840's they had four children, Rebecca, Cath, William and Charles.  Charles was my fathers (James P. Strong) father.  Any connection to our Strong Family??  Have never been able to find any info regarding my gg grand father Andrew Strong.  He was not listed on the 1850 cenus with his family, passed on I don't know.  Any info would be appreciated.  I'll tell my cousin John Houser to make contack regarding the Householder family.  He may help you with some of it.

Jim

May 8, 2011 at 2:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

If you are searching for more information, please

Contact Me

You can also visit my personal family database at 

Rootsweb

Join Us on Facebook

Pinterest

Upcoming Events

No upcoming events

Other Sites of Interest