|Posted on August 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM|
With progress comes change. Change was necessary for the construction of Raystown Lake. The ridges and valleys of the Woodcock Valley lost some historical treasures in the face of progress. One of the local landmarks lost to visitors was the Norris Cemetery.
The Norris Cemetery was located on property owned by Joseph Norris, Sr. (1729-1813). Long time Norris researcher, Ron McCall, recently wrote the history of the Norris Cemetery, and included information on those who were buried in the Norris Cemetery.
One of the oldest burials with a marked tombstone was that of Joseph Norris.
This photo was taken by Ron McCall. All of the known graves in the Norris Cemetery were relocated to the White Church Cemetery at Jacob's Church, where this photo was taken.
There were at least 31 burials at the Norris Cemetery. For the most part, the burials were members of the Norris family. Ron McCall created a map of the cemetery based on one done by the US Army Corps of Engineers before the graves were relocated.
To see a list of all the known graves in the Norris Cemetery, please visit the Norris Cemetery page, where Ron McCall gave information on each person. A great big thank you to Ron McCall for creating the Norris Cemetery page!
In total, the US Army Corps of Engineers relocated a total of 13 cemeteries. The cemetery names and those whose graves were moved to a new cemetery can be found on the Burial Records page.